Nov 29, 2012

BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Stuffed Bread



Have I mentioned that I have four Little Men...three of which eat me out of house and home??

For the most part I have really good eaters. Even if they aren't big fans of what I make, they will try it.
They are also really patient when I try new things. Oldest has been known to quietly give me a thumbs up or a thumbs down depending on well, I think it is obvious.

Luckily he hands out thumbs up more than thumbs down.

I can almost guarantee a thumbs up if there is bacon, bread, and cheese.

I mean my kids are no dummies. They know the good stuff.

The other day I was in my trying-to-figure-out what to make for dinner. I had a fleeting thought about our family's favorite Braided BBQ Chicken Loaf.

Then I swear to you the bacon I had in the fridge called forth reminding me that it was hiding within. With that, I had a sudden flow of thoughts...

Bacon...braided loaf...cheese...hamburger....BBQ sauce...

Bacon Cheeseburger...

...and BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Stuffed Bread was born.

Man was this yummy. I mean the kind of yummy where it disappeared and fast. The kind of yummy where sauce is all over your face. The kind of yummy that leads to silence because everyone's mouth is full of food.

Gooood!


We have already made this recipe again...and if I had bacon handy I am not gonna lie, I would probably be making it for dinner tonight.

This recipe is kid-friendly, husband-friendly, bacon-lover-friendly (aka me), and hunger-friendly.


BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Stuffed Bread 
yields 2 loaves

Print Recipe

Bread:
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tablespoon of yeast
2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups bread flour

BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger:
6-7 pieces of bacon, cut up, cooked
1 pound hamburger
1/2-3/4 cup favorite BBQ sauce (I use Baby Ray's Original), plus a little extra
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 teaspoon hamburger seasoning (I use Grillmates)
Sesame seeds (garnish)

First make the bread.

Combine water, yeast, and sugar. Set aside for about 10 minutes until it is foamy.

Add oil, salt and 2 cups of flour. Start mixing the rest of the flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough starts to pull away from the bowl. For me this was about 3 1/2 cups, I used the other half to dust and incorporate in the dough once it was on the counter.

Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.

Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a damp cloth and set in a warm place. Let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.


While the dough is rising, cook the ground hamburger. Season with the hamburger seasoning. Set aside.

Punch dough down. Divide the dough in half. 


Work on one loaf at a time. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half into roughly an 11x17 rectangle. Transfer to a greased cookie sheet. Use a pizza cutter and cut slits about 2" apart and about 4" in toward the middle on the long sides of the rectangle.

Kind of like so.



In the middle, spread 1/4 cup of the BBQ sauce. Layer half of the hamburger. Then sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheese. Next sprinkle half of the bacon. Then drizzle with a little bit more BBQ sauce.

To "braid" the bread, start on one end and fold it in. Then one at time bring in the strips, right to left, crossing them over each other. When you get to the other end, tuck it into the last few criss-crosses.

Repeat the whole process with the other half of dough.

Place both on the cookie sheet. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Let loves rest for 10 minutes.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until top is golden. Butter the top and then sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Slice up and serve with extra BBQ sauce for dipping.


Linking Here:

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Mouth watering right now and I just ate!

Melanie said...

Wow....I'm thinking my whole gaggle full of boys would LOVE THIS! Thanks.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Uh, they totally will. Hahaha.

What is not to love! It is pretty much a man meal wrapped up in bread!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...