Jul 26, 2012

Pork and Bean Chalupas


Years and years ago on a Fourth of July, we had these AH-mazing, mouth-watering, Navajo Tacos. I still occasionally dream of them.

We were with some friends and their family. I don't remember who made them, how they were made, or anything much about that day except those tacos and watching the parade.

I have been wanting to make Navajo tacos since that day. Alas, since I didn't know or remember anything specific about the original tacos (besides the fact they were delightfully yummy), I never tried to make them.

I finally found a recipe for flat bread that seemed good. Then I actually came across a recipe for a possible filling.

I decided to give it a go and see if I could recreate that delicious memory from oh-so-long ago.

AND guess what?

I don't know if I recreated the recipe, because well, I realized I really can't remember anything about those dang tacos except that I liked them.

Hahaha.

However, I did L.O.V.E. this recipe.

So basically, I have a new memory of deliciousness.

Hence why the title of this post forwent any mention of Navajo Tacos. I bet you were confused for awhile and thought I was one crazy lady for teasing that the recipe was for Pork and Bean Chalupas, then I wouldn't stop going on about Navajo Tacos.

Let me explain. Since I was unsure of the validity of these being Navajo Tacos I decided to name them after the ever wonderful chalupa.

Clear as mud?

I sure hope so.

On to regaling the chalupa now...

Chewy, fry bread starts the base of the chalupa. Resting right on top is a mixture of slow-cooked shredded pork and pinto beans.

I am talking the slow-cooked for 5 hours in a pot kind of slow-cooked. You know the slow-cook where you put in hard beans and then when you are done you have softer beans packed with flavor...

Yup, that kind of slow-cooked.

Next these chalupas get topped with fresh lettuce, cheese, sliced tomatoes, and some sour cream.

So good.


I mean for reals people.

The good news is that this pork recipe also makes enough to have left overs. The left overs can be used over rice, in a tortilla, or over lettuce for a salad. Possibilities endless.

I hope you enjoy these as much as we did.

Pork and Bean Chalupas 


Pork and Beans:

2 1/2 cups pinto beans
3 lb pork roast
7 cups water
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 TBS salt
2 TBS chili powder
1 TBS cumin
1 tsp oregano
2- 4oz cans of chopped green chilies
2 oz jar of pimentos

Fry Bread:

5 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 cups milk

First, start the pork and beans. Rinse the beans to make sure they are clean. Put everything into a heavy stock pot. Cover and simmer for 5 hours, stirring about every hour. If the liquid cooks out too much, add a little more water.

After the 5 hours, take out the roast and shred with a fork. Remove fat. Return the meat to the pot, stir and cooked uncovered for about 30 minutes.

Start the fry bread. Combine dry ingredients the bowl of a mixer. Slowly incorporate milk. Once dough starts forming a ball, dump onto floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Then form the dough into a ball and rest on the counter for 5-10 minutes.

Heat up several cups of oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot enough, tear off small pieces of the dough (a little more than golf ball size). Stretch out without tearing. Roll out with a rolling pin till about 1/4" thick in the shape of a circle. Cut a couple of small slits in the center.

Fry 1-2 two at a time 30 seconds on each side.

Drain on paper towels.

When the pork and the fry bread are both done, serve up. Top with shredded lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and sour cream.

Sharing it here-

Party Time: The 36th Ave
Friday Flair: Whipperberry
Linky Party: Somewhat Simple

5 comments:

Niki said...

Oh my yum!! They look amazeballs!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Hahaha...my sister says amazeballs all the time too. Love it.

Ashley W. said...

Living in AZ, Navajo Tacos are a staple in our house! We usually top them with refried beans and pork or beef roast [and the lettuce and tomato, etc]. We like to cheat on the fry bread and just use Rhodes rolls...or the store brand. Let the rolls thaw and rise then flatten out into a circle-ish shape and fry. For dinner sized portions we usually combine two rolls for each one.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Ashley, that sounds awesome.

Shelly said...

Hi there, I found you through the Whipperberry blog and this recipe looks so good! I pinned it to my recipe board on pinterest. You have a new follower!! Thanks, Shelly from http://shellybailey.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...