May 3, 2012

Blueberry Greek Yogurt Donuts



Donuts are a girls best friend...at least they are this girls best friend. Yup, I heart a good donut. Nothing beats a warm, fluffy, glazed covered sugarfest that is a donut. My very favorite donuts are old-fashioned glazed ones. My mouth just drools thinking about them. I love how they smell. I love how they taste. Man, I could use a donut right about now!

Anywho... I have run across many homemade raised donut recipes but I have seldom seen an old-fashioned donut recipe. The other day I came across one. The recipe seemed easy enough. Of course almost immediately I thought of some ways to revamp the recipe. I tend to do that sometimes.

My revamp? Well instead of the sour cream called for in the recipe I used Greek yogurt...but not just any Greek yogurt. BLUEBERRY Greek yogurt. YUM. Seriously, I had to start giving them away so that I wouldn't eat the entire batch.
 

Homemade donuts are never a bad idea...in moderation at least right? Hahaha.

Blueberry Greek Yogurt Donuts


Donuts-

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 /2 cup white sugar
2 TBS shortening
2 large egg yolks
2/3 cups Blueberry Greek Yogurt (about 2 containers)
oil for frying

Simple Glaze-
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4-1/3 cup milk (depending on how thin you want it)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2-1 tsp lemon juice

Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. In a mixer, mix the sugar and shortening for about a minute on low. Add the egg yolks and mix for another minute on medium speed. Make sure to scrap the sides of the bowl so no one is getting left out. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients ALTERNATING between yogurt. So basically, 1/3 third of the flour mixture, then 1/2  of the yogurt, 1/3 flour, 1/2 yogurt, and end with the last third of the flour mixture. Combine on low speed until just combined. It will be a sticky dough. Transfer dough to a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes. 

When it is time to make your donuts, start heating up the oil in a large pot or high-sided frying pan. You will want the oil to get to 325 degrees to fry the donuts. While the oil is heating up, roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface to about 1/2" thickness. Cut as many donuts out as you can fit. There are donut cutters, however I always use a cup and then I find a smaller circle to cut out the hole. Save the holes. You can gently fold up and roll out dough again. Add donuts to the hot oil a few at a time.

Once the donuts float let them fry for 15 seconds and then gently flip them over. Fry for another minute to minute and half until golden brown and slightly cracked. Then flip and fry the first side for another minute. If the donuts are cooking too fast and getting dark brown quickly, check your oil temp. You don't want them cooking too fast.  Transfer to a cookie rack that has been placed over paper towels.

Mix glaze ingredients together. PS My glaze recipe is kind of a throw it all together until it tastes how I like. Use any glaze recipe you normally use if you want to, but I HIGHLY recommend throwing a little lemon juice in there to compliment the blueberry. Mix until sugar is fully incorporated. I drizzle my donuts, but if you make enough you can also simply dip the top of your donuts into the glaze. Let it dry just for a tad...no really, just long enough for you to grab a napkin and maybe a glass of milk.

Then enjoy. Don't forget to fry up the little holes. We wouldn't want them to feel neglected. They make a pretty yummy pop-in-your-mouth indulgence.
 

Happy Donut making... While we are talking about donuts... So what is your verdict, DONUTS or DOUGHNUTS? The never ending debate right?

1 comment:

Dean said...

I was just talking to my co-workers yesterday about sour cream donuts. They'd never heard of them before. (Can you believe it?!) I was wondering where I could find a good recipe, and now I have! I'll be trying this one this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...