Feb 28, 2012

Harry Potter Spell and Creature Books Tutorial

Link to the SPELL BOOK download is FINALLY fixed!
Print away!!!


Oldest's Harry Potter party required of course some actual school books. I got the idea for the spell book originally from A Lemon Squeezy Home. I loved the idea of making a book of spells. The spell pages were formatted to go into a simple photo book. I did  not want to spend that much per party guest so I thought up a way to make them look like leather bound books.

I also decided to add in a Mythical Creature Book...which yes I now realize should have been Magical Creatures, but by the time my mistake was brought to my attention the suckers were already all printed out and assembled. The kids didn't even notice, so whew! I made this book to go with a Creature hunt. We used our books to review all the creatures and then they had to go around the house and "catch" them. If they were dangerous the kids had to cast a spell yelling "Stupify" in order safely gather them.

So when all was said and done each guest had two different school books to use while at Hogwarts.

I did a quick little how-to on how I assembled these guys.

Harry Potter Spell and Creature Books


What you will need:

felt cut into 10"x7" rectangles, enough pieces for how many books
felt cut into 1"x10" strips for book ribbons
pages formatted for book, click below to get book pages
    -SPELL PAGES
    -CREATURE PAGES
thread

First cut out felt pieces. I chose different colors for each different book.


Then cut out book ribbons.


Print off pages for both books and make sure they are in the right order.



Place the ribbon on the inside of the felt.


Make sure they will be hidden by the pages.



Remove pages and then sew in the ribbon. This is how it will look on the inside.


This is how it will look on the outside.


Next place the pages back over the ribbon and sew the pages to the felt "binding" of the "book".


The pages will be secure.



Place the ribbon in the book.


Fold the books in half and press closed so they they stay closed.


Then you have all of your school books.


Have wand and you are ready to open your spell book and cast some spells. The favorite spell around here was "Stupify" and "Bombardo".


The Mythical Creature Book helped prepare the guests to go on a Creature hunt. Once they reviewed their book they were able to gather all the creatures.


The books were one of the highlights of the party. My boys still have theirs and for days after the party Middle was "blowing up" everything by yelling, "Bombardo".

It was a fun project with great results!

13 comments:

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

You put a lot of work into this party. They look awesome!

Erika said...

I am loving this because I am working on a Harry Potter party for my daughter's class next week. They just finished reading book 1 together. I can't get the other links you have for the spell book to work either. Is there anyway you could email me the file directly? erika75douglas@yahoo.com thanks!

lburg said...

Would love to have the link to the Spell Book. Is there another way to get it? The link is still broken. Thanks.

Unknown said...

I'm throwing my son's 10th birthday party in 2 weeks! Could you please let us know if there is anyway to get a link to the spell book? Thank you, we LOVE your party ideas- so amazin'!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

April, if you will email me I will send you the original. I am still trying to get the format in a downloadable link.

Fefa said...

Following April's message, I would also be very interested in the spell book for my daughter's 9th birthday.

Any chance you could share a copy?

April is right - your party ideas are great!!

amyzam said...

Love these books!! I was planning on buying mini photo albums and slipping the spells into each page, but this is way better! Thanks so much for sharing:) Can I pretty please bother you for an email of your spell pages too? They look so fabulous!

Amy
amyzam83@yahoo.com

amyzam said...

Nevermind! I just found where you shared the link to these...sorry for being a bad reader the first time! I was just so excited to see your books, lol! Thanks again for sharing:)

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Fefa,

I am happy to email these since I still haven't been able to get them into a downloadable format.

If you email me, then I can email you back.

Amy,
I just emailed you! Woot! Woot!

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Hi Larissa, I'm getting ready to do a Harry Potter Birthday for my daughter. Could you email me the file with the spell book? polly.helping.little.hands (at) gmail (dot) com.

Thanks! Love your ideas! We're using several of them.

cncgirl00 said...

I love these tutorials. These are gonna work wonderful for a toddler party. I sent you an email requesting the spell book tutorial (from cncgirl00@windstream.net). Hope to hear from you soon.

Unknown said...

Harry Potter is my favorite story. When I get a time, I read the book. Thanks for share the post about Harry Potter.

zoe sugg in harry potter

The Becker Bunch said...

Hi there!! Any chance you could send me a printable of the spell book also?! "alohaqt4 at yahoo dot com" Pretty please and thank you!!! Love this idea!!

Nikki:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...