Jan 12, 2012

Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup


When winter hits, I am pretty much all about the soup. I would make soup almost every night if I thought my family would tolerate it. Since they wouldn't, I make soup about once a week.

I have some time-tasted, tummy-approved favorites that I make time and time again. I am pretty sure my very favorite is Santa Fe White Been and Chicken Soup that I posted way forever ago....is way forever ago reduntant?


I am always on the look out for a new soup to add to my list of favorite soups.

Well I found a new one!

This soup is awesome. This soup is easy, I mean seriously throw it in a slow cooker and then go about your day. I am really short on slow-cooker recipes, so to find a slow cooker and a soup recipe in one shot was awesome.

If you are soup every night or a soup once a week kind of person, this soup will not disappoint. I changed the recipe just a bit to fit with my tastes. YUM! Seriously, give it a try.


Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
adapted from Let's Dish

3 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
2 tsp minced garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel)
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste

1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
juice of 1 lime

toppings:
3-4 tortillas, cut into 1" pieces and then lightly pan fried
cheese
sour cream
chopped cilantro

Combine all of the ingredients from the chicken broth through the tomato paste in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours. After the 4 hours add in the 1 cup of cheese and the lime juice. Turn the slow cooker down to low and cook for another 1-2 hours.

Within 30 minutes of serving, fry up the tortilla pieces. Then set them out with the cheese, sour cream, and cilantro when ready to serve soup. Garnish soup with the toppings you like...I highly recommend all of them!

You could even add a lime wedge and whole cilantro leaves to make it so pretty.


Yum, right? Trust me, it is yummy!!!!

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

will have to try...thank you! sounds and looks amazing :-)

Krista said...

the presentation of this is beautiful and it looks very yummy!

Melanie said...

That does look super tasty. Did you take those pics? They're awesome!

Maggie and Sheepie said...

Yummy! I LOVE your recipes. Only thing I's add (blame it on being a Californian, where the prices aren't astronomical for them), is avocados to top it, too.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Thanks ladies. Seriously I still want some more of this soup!

Yes, Melanie I did take the pictures.

Deelo Fam, my hubby would have LOVED avocados on top! Maybe next time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...