Jan 14, 2012

A Pinteresting Saturday: Mad Science


This week for my Pinteresting Saturday project I went to my board that is full of ideas for the Kiddos. I had planned a sewing project, but I decided it was more important to do something with my Little Men this week. They really needed some Boredom Busters. I had a great time going through the different activities and projects I had pinned with them in mind.

I finally landed on a couple of science experiments. My boys are ALL about science stuff lately. I chose these pins--

Fizzy Magic Potion

Science Bob's Lava in a Cup

 No Hand Balloon Inflate

Each of these experiments were easily done with stuff I had around the house. The hardest part was the gathering of supplies and then the clean up...you will see what I mean!

First experiment: Fizzy Magic Potion


you will need:
white vinegar
liquid dish soap
food coloring
baking soda
clear containers
excited kids


Fill each cup about half way with white vinegar. Then add in a couple squirts of soap and a couple drops of food coloring. Stir.


Get a heaping spoonful of baking soda...oh and a couple of towels...


I promise he was more excited than he looks in this photo.


Add the baking soda and get ready!


The fizzy magic starts right away...



Oh-so-excited!!!



It might get out of control. Not sure why the green wen to crazy!


But crazy it did go!


Remember how I said to have towels ready? You will need them here!


This was by far the favorite experiment of the day.

Second experiment: Lava in a Cup


you will need:
water
vegetable oil
food coloring
salt
clear container

This experiment wasn't as exciting for my boys, but it was still fun to watch.

First you fill up the cup 3/4 the way with water. Then stir in a couple of drops of food coloring. Then slowly pour in some oil...I am not sure I used enough and perhaps that is why this experiment wasn't as exciting. Upon re-reading the instructions, I DID NOT add enough oil. You need to add 1/4 cup oil!

Once the oil is in, observe how it floats on top of the water.

Then sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over the top. The salt will immediately sink because salt is heavier than the oil. The salt with take the oil as it goes. Then as the salt dissolves the oil will float back to the top...hence the lava effect.

Our lava effect wasn't too profound...cool, but not to profound.




I would try this one again with more oil next time.

Third experiment: No Hands Balloon Inflate


you will need:
glass bottle
balloon
4 TBS white vinegar
4 TBS baking soda

Add the vinegar to the bottle. Remind your kids it is NOT water or Sprite and that they DO NOT want to drink it...they might ask.


Using a funnel, pour the baking soda into the balloon.




Attach the balloon to the mouth of the bottle making sure that none of the baking soda gets in yet.
Let balloon hang to the side. Then have your little helper slowly lift the balloon over the bottle.


As the baking soda falls in there will be a fuzzy reaction and the gas released will inflate the balloon.


Woohoo!

This experiment was also a hit. Baking soda seemed to win this science battle.

What did you accomplish off your Pinterest list this week? I am still looking for more feedback about the interest in making this a linky party each week. Email me or leave a comment!

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Fun times with science! I recently did another baking soda experiment with my son, which I'm betting your boys would like! I found it on pinterest also... you sprinkle baking soda all over a cookie sheet and put several different colors of food coloring on the soda. Then you take droppers full of vinegar and drop it on top of the soda.

It was a hit with my son! He did this for at least an hour (and he's 2! Not an easy feat!)

Then he eventually discovered that dipping his finger in the baking soda and then into the bowl of vinegar also produced a pretty fun result, too.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Hilary, that sounds like SO much fun! I will definitely be giving it a go. Thanks for sharing.

Melanie said...

That does look like a lot of fun. My oldest got a volcano building set for Christmas...we just haven't made it yet.

You can't go wrong with vinegar and baking soda. Always a hit.

The Gibson's said...

How fun I think I will pin all of those to try with my kids.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...