Dec 8, 2011

Project Handmade Christmas Presents: Truffle Hot Chocolate Mix


When the temperature drops, I crave hot cocoa and hot cider. Years ago I had something similar to this homemade hot chocolate drink...and I.Loved.It. I mean for reals. The truffle richness of that hot chocolate drink was heaven in a cup. The glory of the mix was that it was a ganache type chocolate mixture, poured into a glass jar and kept in the freezer. When it was time I just scooped three two spoonfuls into some warm milk, stirred, licked the spoon clean, and then cozily slurped my hot cocoa down.

I never got the exact recipe. Boo! However, I recently took a recipe I saw online and tweaked it to what I wanted. So today's recipe and Project Handmade Christmas Present project is this Truffle Hot Chocolate Mix. This the perfect edible gift to give this Christmas.


Truffle Hot Chocolate Mix

1 3/4 cups milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tbs sugar
1/8 tsp salt

In a microwave proof bowl combine all of your ingredients. Microwave in 45 sec to 1 minute intervals. Stirring with a whisk often. The first couple of minutes the mixture will not come together, but about minute 3-4 it will start to look smooth. It should only take 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes for the chocolate mixture to become silky.

Let the mixture cool off for about 10 minutes. Then funnel into glass containers of your choice. One batch filled 5 tiny jars (about 2 servings a jar). I let mine set on the counter for just about another 10 minutes to continue cooling. Then I put in the freezer for 2 hours. Keep in the freezer until ready to use or give away.

To use, warm 1 to 1 1/2 cups of milk. Stir in two heaping spoonfuls and mix until chocolate is completely melted.

Let's do a photo run down, shall we??

Combine chocolate chips in a microwave proof bowl...


...with cream...


and sugar...



and salt.

Stir together.


Microwave in 1 minute intervals, stirring often with a whisk. Do this until the mixture is silky smooth, about 4 minutes.


Gather the containers you want to use.


Using a funnel, pour the mixture into the jars evenly. Fill to just about the top.



Lick the bowl...yes this is a step in the recipe.



Top off the jars with the lids. Let rest for 10 minutes and then put in the freezer. Keep in the freezer for 2 hours. After that, keep in the freezer until ready to use or give away.


If you are giving away, dress it up all pretty before giving it away.


Here is even a tag I made that you can use...I may not have been able to use it because my printer is completely out of ink...OOPS.




Give some away, but make sure to keep a couple for yourself.

Warm some milk. Scoop some of the delightful chocolate into the milk and stir.


Then enjoy yourself the chocolatey goodness of this cup of hot chocolate.


Merry Christmas!

18 comments:

Adrienne said...

WOW, that sounds like something i could so do...thanks for sharing! and i do especially love the 'lick the bowl' step, ha-ha. my hubby loves himself some hot chocolate so that might make a great gift for him since he is impossible to shop for. thank you!

Adrienne said...

quick question...after you give this to someone does it have to be stored in the freezer? if i do this for my hubby then i almost don't want to have to keep it in the freezer cuz i don't want him to see it, ha-ha.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

It does need to be stored in the freezer because of the cream and so it doesn't get too soft.

Stockhoff Family said...

Uhm, I may so skip the hot cocoa part and just eat it out of the jar. Yeah, I think that my mouth is watering right now, excuse me while I wipe the drool off the computer keys!

Melanie said...

Um....YUM!

The Gilbert Family said...

I made this today, however I didnt have milk chocolate chips...so I used semi-sweet and just added extra sugar... of course I missed the end of the recipe that says make some for yourself so I have none for me... guess I will just have to make it again. :)

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Yes Barb, you will have to. SOOO yummy!

Lauren said...

Oh yumm! I am so making this.

I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-party-with-features-week.html

Adrienne said...

how many small jars does one batch make? hmm, i'll take your word for it so tell me...will my hubby love it? i can just try to hide it in the freezer and tell him not to look, ha-ha.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Adrienne...
I made five of those tiny jars with one batch. Hope that helps!

Adrienne said...

after just writing down the ingredients i noticed that you did have how many jars a batch made...sorry, guess i missed that part when i first read it. anyway, getting the ingredients this morning with my little guy and we will make it and store in the freezer and even if my hubby sees them, he will still have no idea exactly what it is, lol :-) thanks!

Colleen said...

Just curious how long they'd keep in the freezer. Looking forward to making this and your chocolate chip pie tomorrow.

Adrienne said...

Okay, so i finally had some time to make them...couldn't find the little jars so i got some small plastic containers and it actually all fit perfectly in one so that's a good amount for my hubby to try out on Christmas day and if he loves it then i can always make more :-) thanks for the recipe and the super easy instructions. licking the bowl was the best part, ha-ha :-p the container is in the freezer in a wal-mart bag so Justin can't see what it is, ha-ha. Thanks...your taquito recipe is still one of our favorites...just waiting for the kids to actually try them and enjoy them like we do. making them for my in-laws who will be here for Christmas :-) anyway, i think i wrote way too much.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Colleen...yah know I have no idea! I honestly haven't been able to make it last long enough to know for sure. We have already had ours in the freezer for a week...I would guess that you are good for a month at least as long as the seal on your jar is good.

Happy cocoa drinking everyone!

Artful Creations by Tracie said...

I look forward to trying this recipe this fall/winter! This just popped up on my Pinterest page today!! FYI those 'tiny jars' are 1/2 pint Ball canning jars. I can all the time & know my jars!! :-)

Kim said...

I just found this on Pinterest today too, and I had a few questions. I'm wanting to send this to some of my family for Christmas, but I'm not sure if it would last the trip to them. I know it will go soft if it's not in the freezer, but will it go bad? They can always freeze it again when it gets to them... anyone know?

Unknown said...

Do you think you could make them in other flavors. I am making for a group of teachers and one is allergic to chocolate. Butterscotch chips? Or White chocolate chips? Razberry baking chips with white chocolate chips?

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

I can't imagine why not! That sounds great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...