Nov 10, 2011

Superman Party: Play Dough Recipe


Homemade play dough is always a good idea. So cheap to make and it is totally worth it if you can find a homemade recipe that can last and matches the consistency of store bought play dough.

I used the perfect play dough recipe to make coordinating gifts to give our invited Supers in their goody bags.
Thank heavens I had some left over for my own Supers to play with.



I was lucky enough that my play dough colors matched perfectly with the party. Then I managed to find these disposable plastic ramekins at The Mart, which were the perfect size for holding individual amounts of play dough.

Add to that a couple of other gifts and our goody bags were complete.


I know almost everyone has tried some kind of play dough recipe at least once. I have tried MANY. This one is by far my favorite. I know similar recipes are used by several other bloggers too. So you know its gotsta be a good one, right?

So today my recipe is for this simple and easy homemade play dough.

Homemade Play Dough

You will need:

1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt
2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1 Tablespoon oil (canola-vegetable, whatever)
food coloring *I use food coloring gel, that is what I have on hand, but is also gives a much better color, but you can use whatever food coloring you have on hand.


First: Dump everything into a medium sized sauce pan.


Second: Place pan over medium heat and stir constantly...I mean CONSTANTLY. Keep stirring until everything starts to form into a ball, like so--


Third: Dump the dough ball onto the counter.


Fourth: Knead your ugly dough ball until it forms a prettier dough ball. Be careful, the dough will be a little hot straight from the pan.


Fifth: Store your play dough in a container and lid of your choice (even a plastic bag would work).


Sixth: Give away, play with right away, or store for later.


Such a super easy and fun thing to do for your kids and their friends.

I will say that I tried making the first three batches of play dough all at the same time...Hubby had to jump in and help and it still was almost a disaster...so word to the wise, make one batch at a time...just sayin'.


Have fun!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I just tried this recipe and it looks great! I didn't add the food coloring while I heated it- I tripled the recipe, then divided it to knead it and added the food coloring then. My hands warmed it enough that the food coloring mixed very well, although my red isn't as bright as yours. What brand food coloring do you use?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...