Oct 27, 2011

Classic Chicken Noodle Soup


I heart, heart, heart good homemade chicken noodle soup. Okay so I love most homemade soups. Man I love that it is soup weather again...now loving having to wear a coat, long johns, socks and sturdy shoes-not so much...but soup, I am ALL over that!

Last year I searched out a knock off recipe for my favorite restaurant chicken noodle soup. I posted it here. Now, that soup was good, but nothing compared to this soup. I have already made this soup twice. It is easy to throw together and SO yummy. The first time I made it I finished off the leftovers the next day. This is now my go-to chicken noodle soup recipe.

Enjoy the brisk fall weather you might be having, make some soup and get warm and cozy.

Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
adapted from Cooking Like a Champion 

2 Tablespoons olive oil
2-3 stalks of celery, diced (1 cup)
3 carrots or handful of baby carrots, diced (1 cup)
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 quarts chicken broth (can do half chicken half vegetable it adds a nice flavor)
2 cups wide homemade-style noodles
2-3 cups cooked shredded chicken
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

For chicken-I put 2 chicken breasts in the crock pot with some salt and pepper. I cook on high for 4-6 hours. Then it shreds perfectly. You can also poach chicken in chicken broth if you like. OR hey just use a store bought rotisserie chicken.

Directions:
In a large pot, heat oil over med-high heat. Add the celery, carrots, salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Pour in the stock, increase the heat and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for another 10 minutes. Then add chicken and parsley. Continue cooking until chicken is heated through.

Serve with a side of rolls or biscuits.

Cheddar Biscuit-This time I served it with a vamped up packaged Pillsbury biscuit. I simply shredded a little bit of cheddar cheese, pressed that into the top of each biscuit. Then I cooked as directed. Right before removing them from the oven I melted 4 tablespoons of butter and mixed in 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. Then I brushed it over the top of each cooked biscuit. A simple version of a cheddar bay biscuit.



Yum! Enjoy!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

yum! I agree, I could eat soup everyday. Too bad my fellas will not!

EricaThomas said...

Ha! This inspired me to make this for dinner. It's the first cold day of the season! Should be ready in 15 minutes now

Melanie said...

I'm so happy it's soup time too. Keep the good recipes coming.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh thanx for sharing, that looks amazing! I love chicken noodle soup!

Natalie
www.projectdowhatyoulove.wordpress.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...