Mar 8, 2011

Goodbye Cast, Hello Anxiety

Yup, it has officially been a little over 3 weeks since THIS catastrophe occurred.

It has been a wild ride.

After just a few short days I was already having to remind him to slow down, quit jumping, aka stop being a boy. That cast has become a comfortable friend that he carries around with him like it is a natural part of his little arm.

Today we said goodbye to the friend. I didn't realize how hard saying goodbye was going to be for my Little Man.

At first he was excited and happy.



The cast "saw" came out and he didn't even flinch. Unlike his Momma.



Littlest Little Man looked on in wonder.



Then the cast came off. We caught a stomach-turning-glance at the pins in his arm...



...and reality set in.

His arm was now sad, cold, lonely, not to mention scary with those pins sticking out of it. Again came the familiar cries, "I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die."

Then he pleaded, "put the cast back on", "I want the cast on for a little longer".

When it came time to take the x-ray and they had to bend and stretch out his arm into a position it hasn't seen in over 3 weeks, he frantically stated, "uh-oh....UH-OH!"



After the xray and confirmation that his arm had healed wonderfully, these suckers had to come out

hope you guys aren't eating right now


I was a little surprised at the pin taking out process. It kind of grossed me out...I won't go into details, but there is a good reason I took absolutely no pictures of that. Vomit.

Finally we got him calmed down. His arm got bandaged up. He was still quite solemn at the loss of his cast, even the talk of Old McDonalds (what he calls McDonalds) didn't cheer him up immediately.


He requested to be carried to the car, which we did while reminding him that his legs were never broken.

Now his arm is free. Eventually he will remember he can use it. Boy howdy when he does...

...I am going to be an anxious tightly bound ball of nerves hoping he doesn't break it again. It is almost outside weather after all. Yikes. 

Let the worrying begin.


19 comments:

The Keele's said...

WoW! I would have been trippin' too if I saw pins like that comming out of my arm! Poor guy! And brave mom! I hope the summer treats you well and there are no more broken bones! :)

Stockhoff Family said...

My heart hurt just watching that! He has been such a brave boy. Tell him we love him so much. Nana and Gramps

Kate said...

Poor, poor little guy! We refer to McDonald's as "Old McDonalds" as well! Too cute, I love it!

Natalie said...

I seriously almost cried watching him cry. P.S. I also seriously almost hurled up my dinner (which I had finished approximately 2 minutes before seeing this) when I saw those nasty pins sticking out of his wee littl arm.

Aimee said...

It broke my heart to see your son go through that and mostly because I went through the EXACT SAME surgery and casting when I was five. Except that my skin completely healed over my pins and I had to have a second surgery to have them removed. And then not to scare you even more than you are...a week later I fell off a log and broke the wrist on that arm. So...watch him like a hawk and stay away from small heights! I've broken my arm and foot (all on the left side) all from falling off of heights shorter than 6". Mind you, I'm extremely clumsy even at the age of 24, but all of my breaks have taught me to be more cautious!

Christina said...

I almost threw up in my mouth...poor kid!! The whole "screws in the arm" thing is horrible!!!! Tell him he's braver than me!

Amanda said...

YUCK! I hope McDonald's helped. Not fun at all!!

TFern said...

Poor guy!! I don't think I would have reacted any differently and I'm in my 30's!! YAY for the McDonald's light at the end of that tunnel.

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

oooch! yikes. I was flinching for you and your poor little guy! Hope it takes it easy for awhile-for both your sakes!

Nyree said...

You are brave my friend!! Very brave. I don't think I could ever see that sight on my own child. I would literally fall apart. I can understand why he was so upset. Scary. Hope he's doing much better, real soon.
I think it's funny how most kids relate McDonalds to 'Old McDonalds'. Cute.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Ohhh...hard day. Hang in there.

Kreatita T said...

Ow gosh... the poor thing, the pins look terryfing. Such a brave boy! But he'll forget it faster than you will :)

The Super Seven said...

Ugh!!! I wouldn't have been able to sit through that with those pins coming out of his arm.......craziness. Hope he is feeling better and on the mend....

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh, those pins are insane!!!! Glad he is healing well!

Samantha {Moody Mama} said...

Glad he is doing well! I know it was scary for him :( It brought tears to my eyes hearing how upset he was.

Anonymous said...

in addition to your guy being a trooper, you are a super trooper mom. I am in agony just over the photos. Bones and hearts heal fast, you guys are the greatest.

Amrita said...

ma povero cucciolo!!!

Sonya said...

Aww...poor guy.
My nephew just got out of his casts and reacted much the same way. He broke both his legs and spent the last three months in casts. (Freak quad accident where he was sitting on the front rack. The quad was started by an adult with his little sister on the seat as well. Sister pinned the throttle by accident (she's only 5) and the quad drove into a building). Rough experience. We are so thankful it wasn't worse.
Hoping your little man is healing well and feels 100% soon!

Hannah Lange said...

You and Amanda may need to develop that bubble wrap suit she has been thinking about for Owen! Jack is brave!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...