Mar 17, 2011

Chicken Parmesan Soup


I know it is almost Spring and a soup doesn't really scream Spring. However, this soup was really light and refreshing...OH and we have still had some dreary cold days here in the Midwest. I also know it is St. Patrick's Day and I should be posting some kind of Irish dish...or at the least something GREEN.  Alas, I don't really cook anything special for St. Patty...I hope he isn't offended.

Back to the soup. This is a SOUPer...hahaha I crack myself up...sorry, this is a super easy soup to make. It is a savory delight that is only enhanced more by those delicious cheesy bread type croutons on top.

Enjoy and I hope you are wearing GREEN, unless you are cheeky and liked getting pinched.

Chicken Parmesan Soup

4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 chicken breasts, pounded thin
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper
1 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 large onion, sliced really thin
8 slices of artisan bread (I used the pre-sliced, smaller pieces of bread used for bruschetta and used about 12)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook it in 2 Tbs of olive oil. Cook until just cooked through. Remove and set aside.

Add remaining olive oil and saute chopped garlic, onions, and pepper flakes. Cook until onions are beginning to soften...just a couple minutes. Add tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken back in and cook another couple of minutes. Sprinkle in the chopped basil and stir.

Bread:

While the soup is cooking , place the sliced bread on a cooking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in oven and broil until lightly toasted (slightly golden). Take it out, and rub each piece with a garlic clove. Then top with the cheese. Put back in the oven for about  1 1/2 minutes, until cheese is melted but before your oven is taken over by smoke.

Place one slice of toast in the bottom of the bowl. Pour soup over. Add 2 more little croutons on top. Yum, yum.

7 comments:

Sandy said...

I just HAD to bookmark this one...sounds soooo yummy! It's like having pasta without the guilt of eating pasta! Thanks for sharing...

Peggy said...

looks delicious!!

Roslyn said...

This looks so good. I think soup is great all year long and I live in Texas. : )

You might light my broccoli and cheese soup recipe.

http://michaelroslynfish.blogspot.com/2010/08/tasty-tuesday.html

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Thanks Roslyn! That soup does sound delightful.

young said...

Is this Rachel Ray's recipe ?

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

I don't know if this is a Rachael Ray Recipe, I got it from Your Homebased Mom. Link to her site is just under the title.

Sorry!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...