Mar 31, 2011

Baked Taquitos


I know, right. Fancy picture today. I got a little carried away. Okay truth be told...my photo was a little plain Jane. Too vanilla. WAY too much white. So I played around a little with the photo.

Not to be side tracked though...

This recipe is AH-mazing. I had seen it a couple of times while perusing Our Best Bites, but had never actually bookmarked it to try. Then my SIL blogged about it on her blog. Hubby noticed and said, "hey those look grand" (okay he said that more or less). Then my mom tried it. Again the recipe got rave reviews.

So I decided to try it when we were inviting two of our Churchs' Missionaries over for dinner. Let me tell you, these little creamy baked taquitos were quite the hit. This recipe caused one Elder to say to the other, "I told you that she was the best cook, and has the best meals". 

BLUSH.

So thank you you little wrapped chickeny tortilla-y goodness. Thank you for helping me live up to my culinary reputation.

Give this recipe a go. Make sure to pair it with the Cilantro Lime Rice and a side of fresh pineapple (not pictured, I don't know why).

Creamy Baked Taquitos 


1/3 C (3 oz) cream cheese
1/4 C green salsa
1T fresh lime juice
1/2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t granulated garlic, or garlic powder
3 T chopped cilantro
2 T sliced green onions
2 C shredded cooked chicken (I used their Taco Chicken Recipe...YUM)
1 C grated pepperjack cheese 

Small flour
Salt and Cooking Spray

Make chicken according to recipe ahead of time, basically about 4-5 hours before you start.

Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it’s soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and granulated garlic. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.
You can prepare up to this step ahead of time. Just keep the mixture in the fridge.
Place 2-3 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges.  Then roll it up as tight as you can.
Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.

Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.
Serve with Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro Lime Rice
Food.com


1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro
2/3 cup white Jasmine rice
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lime


In a saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Add rice and lime juice, stir for one minute.


Add water and salt, bring to a full boil. At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes.

Add in the cilantro and fluff rice with a fork.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Yummy! I love the cilantro rice at Chipotle...I can't wait to try this recipe out and see how it compares, as I'd love to make it at my house. Thanks!

Kristi said...

I am so excited to try this! I'm going out of town (for Conference) but when I get back, this is the first thing I'm going to make. Thanks, Larissa!

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

We have already made this 2 times since I posted it! haha WE LOVE THEM! Glad to hear you guys loved them just as much, and what a awesome comment from the Elders. Holla!

Nyree said...

We love this recipe as well! Gotta love some mexican food anytime I can get it

Kaydchick said...

this might sound dumb, but are you putting the cream down first then chicken, mixing everything together, or serving the cream as a side?
Thanks :)

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Not a dumb question at all! The cream cheese gets mixed in with everything. Then that mixture goes into the tortilla.

Unknown said...

I am loving the recipes on your site. I got everything ready for this recipe and my husband put it together while I was out with the kids at martial arts. We both loved the taquitos and rice. Homerun! I've really enjoyed visiting your blog and trying out the recipes.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Stefani! I am so glad. I hope you continue to find more recipes you and your family love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...