Aug 4, 2010

Sock Monkey Snuggle Square Tutorial

I was in need of a fast and easy...but CUTE baby gift.

I have never made a blankie square, but I had some minky fabric left over from this blanket and decided it would be perfect for a pretty sweet sock monkey themed snuggle square.




Sock Monkey Snuggle Square Tutorial


You will need:

sock monkey face pattern...below
four different kinds of coordinating ribbon
1 piece of red, cream, and brown felt
17X17 piece of each brown minky fabric and coordinating red striped fabric
red and brown thread




Sock monkey pattern...click to download



Cut pieces of fabric 17X17



Cut several 2 1/2" strips of  each ribbon. Just shy of a ton. I ended up using 12 pieces a side. Fold them each in half and iron them so they stay folded.



Saw this cute way to embellish the back of minky fabric on The Crafting Chicks and knew I had to do it on the back of this. Basically you sew diagonal lines every set of four bumps from one side, turn around and then sew back to make diamond shapes.



Sorry for the lack of how-to pictures for the monkey face, it was only after that I realized I was in a photo coma and didn't snap any pictures of the process.

BUT here is how....

You want to cut out the individual pieces and sew them on in layers with coordinating colors. Start with main monkey face then layer all the pieces on top. You will sew this on to your patterned fabric BEFORE you sew the two fabric pieces together.



Once the sock monkey face is sewn on, lay you two fabrics on top of each other, right sides facing. Take your folded ribbon pieces and sandwich them between the two fabrics so that the unfolded edge matches up with the fabric edges. Play around with how far about you want them and in what order you want them.

Pin each ribbon in place.

Sew around the edge with a 1/4" seam, leaving an opening to turn. That will leave a couple pieces of ribbon loose.



Once you have turned out your snuggle square, at the opening insert the missing ribbon into a folded seam. 



Starting where the ribbon is pinned in, sew around the entire edge of the snuggle square.

Guess what, now you are done!




Just find one of these and let him snuggle away.



Believe me...he will.

Made By You Mondays- Skip to my Lou
Whatever Goes Wednesday- Someday Crafts

16 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE IT, SUPER PRECIOUS! COLORS AND ALL... OH' AND MUST NOT FORGET THAT BABY FACE! jenn

Richelle said...

Love the little sock monkey face. So cute! Thanks for sharing.

Brandy@YDK said...

ardorable. I can already see other felt appliques in my head - like a train. and love the diamon stitching

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so, SO cute! I love it! Best baby gift idea ever! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

What a CUTE idea!!! Love this! I'm your newest follower.

Kim said...

I love it! I'll have to add this to my when I get time to make file.

ificould said...

SO cute!! Love it!! Such a cute baby too!! I'll be linking this on my blog later this week- thanks for sharing!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

that baby is so yummy looking! (er, you know what I mean.) Love the blanket too, super cute!

Jen @ lil Mop Top said...

That is so cute! Love the sock monkey! I have made these blankets before and they are so easy. LOVE the idea of sewing the diamonds on the dot material- will do that next time for sure!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That is absolutely adorable. Thanks so much for sharing the monkey pattern!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Super cute! I totally love anything with sock monkeys on them!

Belinda said...

I just wanted to let you know how wonderful your tutorial is, and I used it for my grandson. I posted it on The Seam Rippers blog.
Thanks!
Belinda

Unknown said...

Oh this is so cute! I LOVE it! It went in my idea file. Thanks for sharing!

sarahjane@edublogs.org said...

Thanks for sharing this, it is super cute!! It is perfect for a new baby I know!! I also think the minke detail is great!!

Tanya said...

I've had this bookmarked since I first saw it, and I finally got around to making one. Fingers crossed that you're one of those people who believe imitation is the highest form of flattery, because I was a total copycat!

Sew Many Dreams

(linked back to your tutorial)

The Bolands said...

Making one for my newest nephew today! I am your newest follower! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...