Jul 7, 2010

Chocolate Caramels from Smashed Peas and Carrots

Umm...did anyone else besides my hubby notice that the original title "Chocolate Caramels with Smashed Peas and Carrots" sounded like I was offering a really questionable veggie filled caramel???
Obviously I did not notice it when I typed it...haha my bad! 

How lucky are you??? On the very first Recipe Thursday in 
Christmas in July we get a yummy food gift idea from Maggie from this lovely blog...


Hi! I'm Maggie from the blog Smashed Peas and Carrots, a crafty little momma blog I write with lots of sewing and crafting tutorials and tons of delish recipes too! I am so excited that Larissa asked me here today to share a recipe for her Christmas in July series...what a fun idea...I don't know about you but I could use all the help I can get in getting ready for the Holidays, the last two months of the year go by waaay too fast for my liking!!
Sooo, on to the reason I'm here...the recipe that I wanted to share with you all is a fun one...making Chocolate Caramels...YUM!! A great gift to give for the holiday season or really anytime of the year, I mean, who doesn't love getting sweets as a gift, right?

Okay, so let's get started...
Chocolate Caramels
2 cups heavy cream
8 0z bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray, line with parchment paper, and then lightly spray again with the cooking spray, set aside. In a medium saucepan bring cream to simmer over medium heat. Add chocolate and stir until melted. Once melted, stir in sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, still over medium heat, and continue to boil until a candy thermometer reaches 250 degrees (the Hard-Ball stage). This will take anywhere from 30-45 minutes. Then, remove from heat and stir in butter and salt. Pour caramel mixture into prepared pan without scraping the saucepan and let stand uncovered for 8 hours or until completely set.
Lift caramel out of pan via parchment paper and cut into squares with a sharp knife. Wrap pieces in waxed paper and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks...ENJOY!


Here is everything you'll need to make these babies!



Alright, so first spray your pan...line with parchment paper...and spray again!



Finely chop your bittersweet chocolate...



Add your chocolate to your simmering cream...



Once your chocolate is melted, add the sugar and corn syrup...



Let boil until a candy thermometer reaches 250 degrees...the Hard-Ball stage!


Okay, so what is the Hard-Ball stage you ask?
It's when you drop some of the caramel mixture into a bowl of cold water and the caramel forms a hard ball. This ball can be squished with firm pressure, like the picture above!!

Next, pour the caramel mixture into your prepared pan and let it set up for about 8 hours.



Then, cut your caramel into pieces and wrap in waxed paper. Me really likey the look of the natural brown waxed paper...it feels so old skool candy shop, eh?



Package them up in a glass jar with a bow on top and you have yourself a pretty little gift for holiday gift giving!!




OR you could just open that jar up and...



Grab a piece of Chocolate Caramel for yourself...


YUM...now doesn't that look good!


Have yourself a little bite...


And smile...chocolate just does that to us, doesn't it!?!

I really hope you enjoy this recipe, it is super duper fun to make caramels and truly not as scary as you think with there being a candy thermometer involved and all :) Plus the end product is soooo good!!

 Thanks again Larissa, I really enjoyed being a part of your Christmas in July series...oh, and and please swing by Smashed Peas and Carrots and come say hello anytime, I'd love to meet you all!!

Uhh...I totally need to make these for myself my neighbors. 
THANK YOU Maggie, how did you know caramel and 
chocolate are my favorite combo???

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

mmm..thanks for the "hardball" tip, i tried regular caramels earlier in the year and they were too chewy :( now with your tip, i should be able to rock it. i think this is a great gift idea.

Tracy said...

That looks so yummy cant wait to make

Becki Madsen said...

I would love to do a link up for your Christmas in July, just let me know the easiest way to do it and I am there! Thanks and you have a great blog!

Pedey @ Do You Smell That!!? said...

Do you do any stirring of the pot once you've added the corn syrup & sugar?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...