Apr 1, 2010

Recipe Thursday: Recipe for a Cute Birthday Noggin

Remember this cute cake face??? Isn't it topped by a cute little birthday hat??? Well, hey here is a recipe for a cute birthday hat.



Supplies:

Stiff felt sheets
coordinating regular felt in 2-4 colors
coordinating yarn
hot glue/glue gun

Cut out template. Use as a pattern. Trace out on your pieces of felt.




Cut out.



Roll into cone shape. Roll tight enough that there isn't a gap unlike in my picture below...oops! Apply hot glue to the tab and then glue hat closed. Hold firmly rolled until glue is dried.



Repeat until you have enough party hats.



Cut out some dots. I did small and big dots. Do whatever floats your boat.



Hot glue dots on in a random pattern.



Pom-Pom time. I KNOW there has to be a better way to do this, but hey this works too. Wrap the yarn around two fingers, slightly spaced a part, making sure to hold on to the loose end.



Keep wrapping, and then keep wrapping some more. The thicker you wrap, the thicker the pom-pom.



After it is thick enough, cut other end. Feed that end through your two fingers, still holding on to the original loose end. You should have two loose ends.



Wind the cut end around your "ball" of yarn and through your fingers again. Pulling tightly. Take your original loose end and prepare to tie a knot with the cut end.



Wiggle the yarn off your fingers. Tie the two ends together in a tight knot.



Cut through the loops on either side of your knot, making sure NOT (haha not-knot just got that) to cut the ends that are tied in a knot.



When you are all done, fluff out your pom-pom. You also might have to trim it up to make it uniform in size.



Attach to the tip of your hat with a glue gun.



Once the glue has dried. Punch holes at the bottom on either side. Tie on two pieces of yarn for the ties.



Now you have the cutest little birthday hat, to go on the cutest little head...you kind of want one for your next birthday too, huh???



HEADS UP: My first giveaway is going to start on Saturday!

8 comments:

Jess said...

I love your blog! I'm so happy you stopped by mine and this birthday hat recipe is GREAT!

seven thirty three said...

So adorable and I love that it is no sew!

Thanks for linking up with What are little boys made of? Hope you stop by next week!

Kim

Holly Wilcox said...

Super cute pom-pom on top.

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Darling hat!

V and Co. said...

LOVE IT!!!!!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is so cute and YES, I do want one for myself. =) I'll be linking.

Stacey said...

That is so cute! I love it. Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft.

Heather @ Camp Slop said...

So cute!! I will be featuring this on my blog tomorrow - www.campslop.blogspot.com.

Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...