Mar 11, 2010

Shredded Bajio Chicken with Homemade Tortillas




My food savy (aka enjoys a good restaurant) brother has regaled the restaurant Bajios. Alas, my poor deprived palate has never been there.  The other day  I found a recipe on the blog Kara's Kitchen Creations (go and check her site out it has some great recipes) and decided to give it a go. I made some minor changes to fit with things I had and portions that would fit our family. It was SUPER delicious and made me want to go and try the real thing.


Shredded Bajio Chicken
serves our family of 4 + some leftovers


2 chicken breasts
1/4 cup regular mild salsa
2 tsp of cumin
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 can of diced chiles
1/3 can of 7 up

Combine everything in a crockpot. This can either cook on high for 4 hours or cook on low for 5-6. In this instance I cooked on high because, well I procrastinated and didn't have it ready in time to do the long cooking time.

Remove chicken and shred and then put back into the pot for an hour on low.

Serve with warm tortillas, cheese, lettuce, black beans (we didn't have these on hand), and sour cream. We also love to serve tacos with a side of Taco/Mexican rice. There are several great rice packets out there... OPINION-- Do not get the Old El Paso microwave rice packets, we tried two different kinds and YUCK! Sorry OEP the truth has to be said!

We also have been experimenting with different homemade tortilla recipes. So far we are 0 for 2. The first ones were a little bland and really rubbery. The second recipe was a little tastier, but pretty floury in texture and not nearly as malleable as we like our tortillas to be. I guess they looked pretty enough, right??? We are still on the hunt. 


I would love, love, love any recipes for homemade tortillas that you have used and liked. I will try it pretty much immediately, since we like ourselves some Mexican food, and then I will give you a little blog shout out for answering our distress call. 






Happy recipe Thursday!

9 comments:

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com said...

Yummy! I need to try this! Come link your delicious recipe at my party: Thursday's Treasures!!
http://treasuresfortots.blogspot.com/2010/03/thursdays-treasures-week-13.html

Amy {Design Intervention} said...

that looks so yummy! I don't cook right now since hubby is deployed, but when he gets back - -this one is definately going to be on my list of things to make!!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and I will definately check out your "shout out" tomorrow!! :)

Abbie said...

This is making my mouth water. I can't help you with homemade tortillas (I have failed several times trying to make these) but we really enjoy the tortillas from Costco that you cook on a skillet right before eating.

Keri said...

that loos sooo yummy i cant stand it. hey let me know if you ever run across a yummy whole wheat tortilla. thats what im on the hunt or as well. im gona try this recipe next pay period for sure. thansk

Holly Wilcox said...

Yum! We're going to have chicken tacos for dinner.

I agree on the old El Paso. I got a ton of black bean packets free with coupons. I was bummed I didn't get any rice ones b/c the sauce on the beans is horrible. Now I know the rice is just as bad. Thanks

Kristin said...

I don't have a recipe but one of my friend's has a cooking blog and she has a whole wheat recipe for tortillas that she says is great. Try it if you want. You can find it here: http://bestofmommachef.blogspot.com/2009/12/whole-wheat-tortillas.html

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Oooh thanks! I will totally try this! I will pass it on to my friend Keri too.

Jess said...

Wow this looks good! I've got to try it.

Meghan said...

have you tried the recipe on pioneer woman http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/05/homemade-flour-tortillas/
they are good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...