Mar 24, 2010

Baked Potatoes in Roll Form

I promised you a recipe, but first things first. Today I have to take this sweet face in for a minor procedure. After almost a year, we are saying good-bye to his weepy, goopy eye. So long clogged tear duct. While I know this is a less than minute long procedure and is done in the office...I almost cry with the thought of him all swaddled up and super angry having it done. Wish me luck and courage all my blogging mommy friends...



Now that I have said weepy and goopy and ruined your appetite for all food...lets give you a recipe.

Last week at our monthly cooking club the theme was Irish or Green. I had an inkling that there would be some green deserts. While I love myself some dessert, I was feeling more in a bread mood. To be honest I was really craving the Baked Potato Bread from Great Harvest...yum love it. Since I probably shouldn't bring store bought bread to a cooking club, I searched for a recipe.

Alas, I couldn't find one. I did find a recipe for Potato Sour Cream Bread and then turned it into this delightful Baked Potato Roll recipe...yes there is bacon involved. PS the Irish component of my recipe is the fact that they are POTATO rolls...stretching it? I think not!


Baked Potato Rolls

Ingredients:

 4 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp 
1 egg
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 cup chopped chives
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup bacon pieces (you can cook bacon and crumble it, but save yourself the work and just buy real bacon pieces, the ones in the salad isle).
6 cups bread flour

Cut up peeled red potatoes. Boil until tender. Strain out water and put in large bowl, while HOT. Add in sour cream, milk, and butter. Mash together.Tricky part, you want your mixture to be about 110 degrees (just like you would have warm water be in a bread recipe). Add in egg, instant yeast, and chives. Add in two cups of bread flour, stir until ingredients are all incorporated and mixture is smooth. Set aside for about 10 minutes.Add in salt, cheddar cheese, and bacon, then slowly add in the rest of the flour, at 1/2 a cup at a time. After a couple of cups of flour, the mixture will get hard to mix in the bowl. Turn out on floured surface and add remaining flour, mixing it on floured surface. Knead dough for about 10 minutes till the dough is smooth and elastic. Oil a large bowl and add in the dough, turning in the bowl making sure to coat all sides. Cover and allow to rest for one hour.

After the dough has risen, pour onto counter. Punch it down. Cut dough in 20-24 equal pieces, depends on how big you want your rolls. Shape into rolls. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover and allow to rise for another hour. Once it has risen the second time, sprinkle flour over the tops and place in a preheated 375 degree oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove and butter tops. Let cool on wire rack.

Serve with soup. Or heck just slap some more butter on it and call it good.

4 comments:

Celeste said...

Good luck Larissa! I hope it goes, or went good! You'll be glad when he has no more goop! And the rolls looks so yummy! By the way, I loved my bbq chicken braid! It was so dang good! Thanks for your awesome posts. Next on my list, a tie for Logan. I have the pattern all ready to print out. I hope it turns out as cute as your ties!

Barbara said...

1 1/2 tsp of what? in the ingredients... I just glanced through the directions and it wasn't obvious there either. I pinned the recipe to make some time because they sound great, but I want to make sure I don't miss something

Barbara said...

Salt maybe?

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Barbara,

Yup it is salt. how funny I missed that and it didn't get fixed until now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...