Sep 10, 2009

Spinach Salad

Shut up...I did Recipe Thursdays 2 weeks in a row. I know it is a miracle and this time I will try to avoid the inappropriate misspelling disaster of last week.

I made this salad yesterday for an afternoon luncheon with a friend...but as you can see from the picture it is also a salad I make for Thanksgiving. In fact, I have already posted this recipe in one of my recipe blogs (which if you remember are D.O.A now). I am posting it again that is how much I love this salad. It is fairly easy to pull together. It isn't the cheapest salad because of the pecans and craisins but if you need a yummy impressive salad for a lunch, a shower, a church event, a holiday, a Friday, well then this is your salad.

Spinach Salad




1 bag of baby spinach
1 cucumber, sliced
3/4 cups craisins
1 red apple, diced dipped in lemon juice
1 cup pecans, sugared (2 TBS sugar)

Dressing:

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp Worcestershire
1 TBS poppy seeds
1/2 cup light flavored olive oil

Sugar pecans by heating with 2 T sugar in small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir constantly. Sugar will melt and coat pecans in a delightful little sugar crust.

Combine all salad ingredients except pecans in large bowl.

Combine all dressing ingredients BUT poppy seeds and olive oil. Blend ingredients in blender/food processor/magic bullet. Slowly add in the oil. Add poppy seeds last.

Top with pecans just before serving. You can pour the dressing over the salad just before serving OR what I do is serve them separate and let the eater decide how much dressing she wants. Plus this way if there is left overs they store better.

As a funny side note...I caught a misspelling before posting...I almost said poopy seeds instead of poppy seeds...is there a 12 year old boy hiding within trying to get someone to laugh by spelling things wrong???

1 comment:

Celeste said...

I lOVE spinach salad! I've never tried the sugar pecan thing before, but I'll attempt it. They are so yummy, and I already have some! Yeah! Thanks Larissa.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...